Friday, January 29, 2016

Establishment Tactics

Very few of the Establishment appear to be honest brokers. Hence I understand the short-term allure of the tactics of Donald Trump. But long term? Really?

Please let examples such as the following serve as a warning (one of many I've received, but I'm providing this one as an abject lesson) to those who want to believe that "someone is working for ME." My letter to them [Heritage] could be sent to Trump and a horde of others. I suspect it will be met with deaf ears if it is even read by anyone.

Dear Christie Fogarty (presuming that's your real name), or anyone who cares for the reputation of Heritage,

Re: Christie Fogarty <info@heritage.org>
"Pascal,

I just stepped out of our final membership team meeting of the month. I wanted to remind you that you haven't renewed your Heritage membership this year. 
You’ve been one of our most dedicated members and I know you wouldn’t want your Heritage membership to expire...."

Heaven forbid that anyone at your institution or others like you would bother to personalize a fund-raising message at least somewhat.

I do not remember what year it was exactly -- I think 1999 or 2000 -- when I last sent you any money.

First of all, I'd say my membership long ago expired and so it is impossible for me not to want it to expire now. In fact once was the only time I sent you anything.  It was because I read of an attempt by the Clinton administration to attack you (I do not recall now the nature of that attack). In retrospect you have forced me to conclude that it was a weak moment on my part. I find it painful to recall. Thank you.

And secondly, but more importantly, since 2000 was the last time I could have sent you anything, how is it possible that I could now be one of you most dedicated members?  The very essence of what Heritage is supposed to stand for is undermined by such a preposterous designation. 

I can hear your best explanation now:
"What we do is so important that we must maintain funding, and past contributors have proven to be future ones, thus we are hoping we can touch you again, so please excuse a little hyperbole." 
In other words: "Our ends justify our means." 

How exactly is that not similar in nature to Nancy Pelosi's "Are you serious? Are you serious?" when asked where in the constitution one could find permission for Obamacare.

I am sadly aware how sophistry is a nasty part of our heritage. Given that the ends justifying the means tactics are being employed by your fundraisers, it would appear sophistry, or at best its useful idiot tool casuistry, have become a mainstay at Heritage.

If you retain a vestige of shame you will rectify this behavior immediately.

At the least one would think that Heritage, which claims to be in the forefront of protecting individuals from large and remote institutions, and a institution in its own rite, could respond favorably to an individual who has caught you employing tactics apparently learned from those you want us to believe you are protecting us. Et tu Heritage?

Your cynicism feeds my skepticism. If your purpose in life is to convince the public that nothing beyond divine intervention can save us, then you are firmly on the road to damnation.

3 comments:

  1. It's like Phishing. One step above cold calls.
    I wonder how many respond positively.

    "someone is working for ME." Strongmen work for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they weren't lying, maybe there membership is low, and they set the bar very low for being a 'most dedicated member.'

    "You’ve been one of our most dedicated members and I know you wouldn’t want your Heritage membership to expire...."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pascal,

    Perhaps Christie Fogarty is actually a boiler room filled with unpaid interns who have never known a world different from the cynical and meaningless one they seem to inhabit. In a paradoxical way, it may be that the letter you received is actually a good representation of the heritage they have been handed.

    Alec

    ReplyDelete

View My Stats